May 26, 2024

How to find out if there are Liens or Encumbrances Against a Piece of Ground

If you are going to purchase a piece of real estate, you will want to know if there are any liens or encumbrances against the property.  We suggest that you contact an abstract and title company or an attorney.  You may discuss your situation with them and they can ascertain the best avenue for you.  In Fall River County there is one title company:
Fall River Title Company Inc
712 Jennings Ave
Hot Springs, SD 57747
If you do not have an attorney, the South Dakota Bar Association maintains a list.  They can be reached at 222 East Capitol Ave., Pierre, South Dakota. Telephone No 605-224-7554 or in state Watts line of 1-800-952-2333.
Liens come in all types, some of them are indexed against the real estate and others are indexed alphabetically by the persons name only.  It is a question of law as to whether they attach to a piece of ground.  You can come in the office and search any of our real estate records yourself.  We would be more than happy to show you where they are and how you can search, however, we cannot give legal advice.  The Clerk of Courts also has Judgments filed in their office which as a matter of law may attach to real estate.  The Treasurer has the information for the real estate taxes and special assessments that may be due and owing, the Finance Officer of the City has information concerning new special assessments, and the County Auditor has information concerning the payment of Fall River and Shannon County Liens.  Unfortunately, when you are dealing with real estate, it is not a one stop shopping matter and is very time -consuming and intricate work.
I hope this information has been helpful to you.

Return to Register of Deeds page
Return to Recording of Real Estate Documents page

Skip to content