May 26, 2024

Archives for October 2023

Ag Status Deadline – November 1st

If you purchased land this year in Oglala Lakota County and want the land to have agricultural status you must return an Ag Status Form to the Director of Equalization office by November 1st.  This form is necessary even if you have other agricultural land already in the county or if the land previously had Ag status.

Agricultural status forms need to be on file for each parcel owned and must be updated with a change in ownership.

Form can be filed online or you can contact the Director of Equalization’s office at 605-745-5136 or [email protected]

Why do I want Ag Status?  Land classified as Agricultural land is assessed according to a productivity formula instead of having its assessed value based on selling price.  The productivity formula tends have values much lower than those based on selling price.  In addition, lands classified as Ag receive a lower school mill levy (tax rate).

Requirements for Ag Status:

For land to be classified as agricultural the primary and main use of the land must be devoted to agricultural pursuits, such as the harvesting of crops or the raising of livestock.

In addition the land must meet either an acreage requirement or a minimum income.

  • Oglala Lakota County’s minimum acreage requirement is 160 acres.
  • If the land does not meet the acreage criteria, then a minimum gross income of at least $2,500 must be shown to have come from an agricultural pursuit in three of the previous five years.


UPDATED – Record Searches Temporary Limited

Update 10/16/2023: All records are again available.

Update 10/11/2023: The Register of Deeds is now able to issues vital records (Birth, Marriage and Death).  There is still limited land records searches until Friday.

Original Post: The Fall River & Oglala Lakota County Register of Deeds is unable to issue certified copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records at this time. Certified vital records can be requested at any South Dakota county register of deeds.  Fall River & Oglala Lakota County can currently issue Marriage Licenses.

There are limited land record searches. Please call the office, 605-745-5139, if you have any questions. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Courthouse Closed – Native American Day

The Oglala Lakota & Fall River County Courthouse in Hot Springs will be closed Monday, October 9th in observance of Native American Day. Regular business will resume as usual on Tuesday, October 10th.

Skip to content