June 19, 2024

Motor Vehicle Information

Our office collects fees for motor vehicle titling and licensing. This includes fees for vehicles, boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles, trailers and ATV’s. There is a 4% excise tax on vehicles that are ten years old or newer and vehicle that cost more than $2,500.00.

To transfer a title into your name, the following information is needed:

  • the original title
  • your Drivers License or Social Security Number
  • bill of sale with signatures of seller and purchaser
  • SD title application
  • current mileage (if ten years or newer)
  • if an enrolled member of the Oglala Lakota Sioux Tribe the blood degree letter or tribal ID must be presented

You can get the forms you need at www.SDcars.org or at our office.

To renew your vehicle license and registration, we need your drivers license or Social Security Number. Please bring in your current registration, title, or plate number so we renew the right vehicle.

Our office also adds and removes liens from titles, completes handicap vehicle permits, duplicate titles applications, temporary, and 30 day commercial permits. We can do vehicle transfers and renewals by mail.

Return to Treasurer’s Page

Skip to content